When it comes to dressing an ever-changing body that is constantly going up and down the scale, I’m your girl! Back in my younger years, I remember feeling the pressure of staying the same size all the time (especially because I worked in the fashion industry). But for me, I didn’t want that to stop me from enjoying my life! I like to eat, drink, and do all the things that can make you gain weight overnight! Therefore, I’ve had to learn how to dress my body from a size 8 up to a size 18 and back to a size 12. It’s not always easy, but what helps is having a game plan and a great foundation. And you know I always come through with the tips, so today I’m showing you 5 items to buy this summer if you’ve gained a little weight!
Dressing your body during a period of weight gain is all about getting the foundation right. Then, you can start accessorizing and adding details to areas of your body you want to highlight! This will draw attention away from the areas of your body you want to downplay.
Here’s the most important part, though: don’t beat yourself up trying to fit into clothes that don’t work for your current body. Put those clothes out of sight and out of mind until your body is ready for them again. By investing in these foundation items, you’ll be able to combine them with the items that still work in your closet. Get ready to effortlessly create looks that you feel good in!
This post contains affiliate links. By using my links to shop, I may receive a small commission (at no cost to you). Thanks for supporting POLISHED.
1. Well Fitting Bra and Panties – This is the base of your foundation! Make sure they fit well, and give you the natural support you need. I recommend getting measured at a bra shop or lingerie store to make sure you’re wearing the right size bra! And don’t be afraid to size up your underwear if you need to. No one will know but you. I promise you will be MUCH more comfortable!
2. Neutral Tank Tops – You can never have enough tank tops when it’s hot out! Snag a few neutral/solid colored tank tops to put together with more simple outfits. Or even layer them under open blouses! They’re great for smoothing out your midsection on their own or under layers. Try a different kind of neckline to spice it up!
3. Black Slacks – I know you might be tired of black, but trust me, it does all the things when your weight has creeped up on you. Look for your favorite silhouette (wide leg, cropped, pleated etc.) with a secure fit at the waist. You can use these pants to create endless looks from season to season. Pro tip: take them to a tailor to make sure they’re as flattering as possible!
4. Dark Blue Jeans – The classic! Dark denim minimizes and flatters the same way that black pants do. Wear these to effortlessly create more casual looks on the off hours and on the weekend. Or pair these with a statement blouse if your office has a more relaxed dress code!
5. Classic Blazer – Who doesn’t love a good blazer? These days, professional women aren’t wearing as many head-to-toe suits, but we’re still rocking blazers. However, there is nothing worse than putting on a blazer and feeling like you are trapped in a cage because it’s tight across the back. Invest in a good classic blazer for the days you need to be more tailored. Or throw it over one of your neutral tanks for a pulled-together casual look!
Now that you have these basic items that will help you rock your current body, it’s time to learn how to style them! And the rumors are true – I’m giving my secrets away for FREE right now! Download your copy of The Polished ID™ Playbook TODAY! Want some more guidance on how to shop with where your body’s currently at? Here’s my guide to shopping the right brands for your body type! Let’s level up how you show up!